With Renegade Spicy Chorizo
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Medium Red Onion, Halved and Sliced
12 Ounces Fingerling Potatoes, Scrubbed and Sliced
3 Ounces Renegade Spicy Chorizo, Thinly Sliced
1 Cup Chickpea Flour
½ Teaspoon Kala Namak or Plain Salt
¼ Teaspoon Turmeric
¼ Teaspoon Ground Cumin
¼ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
2 Cups Low-Sodium Vegetable Stock
1) Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Swirl gently to coat the bottom and sides thoroughly.
2) Add the onion and cook until translucent and tender; about 5 minutes.
3) Add the potatoes and chorizo and sauté, stirring periodically, for 15 – 18 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender and lightly browned.
4) Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, kala namak, turmeric, cumin, and black pepper. Slowly pour in the vegetable stock while whisking continuously, to create a smooth, thick, but pourable batter.
5) Pour the chickpea mixture into the skillet, distributing it evenly over the vegetables and chorizo. Push the contents of the pan around to arrange them in a smooth, even layer, as needed.
6) Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and let cook undisturbed for 10 - 15 minutes. The bottom should be deeply golden brown all over.
7) Carefully move the pan into the oven and broil on high for 5 – 10 minutes, until the surface is equally browned, and the tortilla is set all the way though.
8) Let cool for at least 5 minutes before inverting onto a large serving plate and cutting into wedges. Enjoy hot.
Makes 6 Servings
For a lower carb option, try using fresh cauliflower florets instead of potatoes.