ROASTED FENNEL ROMESCO PIZZA
With Renegade Sweet Toscana
½ Cup Warm Water
1 Teaspoon Dark Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
1 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
½ Teaspoon Salt
1 Roasted Red Pepper (1 8-Ounce Jar, Drained)
¼ Cup Raw, Whole Almonds
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley
1 Clove Garlic
1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
½ Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
¼ Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
½ Bulb Fennel, Trimmed, Cored, and Sliced into Wedges
2 Ounces Renegade Sweet Salami Toscana
3 Ounces Shredded or Thinly Shaved Vegan Parmesan Cheese
½ Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1) Place the warm water, brown sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix lightly to combine and allow about 10 minutes for the yeast to reactivate and become frothy.
2) Incorporate the oil before adding the flour and salt. Mix thoroughly to combine. Use a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook to knead for about 10 minutes, or by hand for closer to 15, until the dough is smooth and elastic, but still slightly sticky.
3) Transfer to a clean bowl and lightly grease. Cover, place in a warm, draft-free place, and let rise until doubled in volume; 1 - 1 ½ hours.
4) Meanwhile, to prepare the sauce, place the roasted red pepper, almonds, tomato paste, parsley, garlic, red wine vinegar, smoked paprika, and salt in your food processor. Pulse to combine, breaking down the vegetables until very finely chopped. With the motor running, very slowly stream in the oil, blending until smooth. Get the remaining toppings ready to go and set aside.
5) Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and lightly grease a pizza stone or sheet pan.
6) Once risen, turn the dough out onto your prepared pan. Use your hands to stretch it out towards the edges in an even circle about 14-inches in diameter. If it begins to fight you and starts shrinking back before you reach the full size, let it rest for 15 minutes before giving it a final pull. Leave a thicker ring of dough around the edges to form the crust
7) Bake the pizza on the lower oven rack until it looks dry on top but is not yet fully baked; about 8 - 10 minutes.
8) Remove from the oven and spread the sauce on top, leaving a ½-inch border around the edge clear. Distribute the fennel evenly over the top
9) Broil on high for 10 - 15 minutes, until the fennel is tender and lightly caramelized around the edges. Add the until the sliced salami and broil for just 2 minutes longer, to warm through.
10) Let cool for just a few minutes before sprinkling the parmesan and crushed red pepper all over, slicing, and serving.
Makes 6 – 8 Servings
To simplify this recipe, start with 16 ounces of prepared pizza dough, available in the deli section of most supermarkets. Skip straight to step #4 to make the sauce, assemble, and bake the pizza.
The romesco sauce can be made up to seven days in advance. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge.